Long Island Paranormal Investigators Long Island Paranormal Investigators
 

  » About Us
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Our Members
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » The Equipment We Use
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Paranormal Definitions
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Paranormal Theories
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Our Recent Investigations
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Evidence Gallery
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Haunted Places on LI Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Paranormal ClassesLong Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Want To Join LIPI?
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Contact Us
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Request An Investigation
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Friends of LIPILong Island Paranormal Investigators
  » LIPI Community
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » LIPI Online Store   » Follow LIPI on Facebook!  Follow LIPI on Twitter!   »  

Haunted Places and Centers of Paranormal Active:
Virginia

 

Bassett Hall

Bassett Hall

A Brief History:  Bassett Hall is located on the south side of Francis Street near the Capitol in Williamsburg Virginia. It is believed to be built sometime between 1753 and 1766 by Philip Johnson a member of the House of Burgesses. Around 1800, the house was bought by Burwell Bassett. In 1926, the house was bought by John D. Rockefeller Jr, and his wife Abby Aldrich Rockefeller. The house remained in the Rockefeller family until 1979 when it was then passed on to Colonial Williamsburg. Open to the public, guests can view the house just as it appeared in the 1930s and 40s.

Haunted History: Colonial Williamsburg alone is rich in paranormal activity, and has attracted many visitors for its ghost tours. Because of the Indian burial grounds, Revolutionary War, and the Civil War, Colonial Williamsburg is often buzzing with activity. With Bassett Hall though, people have claimed to hear voices and feel cold spots.


Court House, Colonial Williamsburg

Court House at Colonial Williamsburg

A Brief History: The courthouse of Colonial Williamsburg is located at 101 W Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg VA. The courthouse was constructed in 1771 and served as a local courthouse and site of revolutionary wartime legislation. For example, The Treaty of Paris was announced at the Williamsburg courthouse. The building was acquired by Colonial Williamsburg in 1928 and it became a historical museum along with many other structures in the area.

Haunted History: The courthouse was located in close proximity to the gallows where local criminals were hanged. Additionally, during The Battle of Williamsburg during the Civil War many buildings in the area, the courthouse included, were used as field hospitals and saw a grotesque amount of death. Therefore, it is the spirits of hanged men and southern soldiers believed to haunt the grounds of the building.


Everard House, Colonial Williamsburg

Everard House

A Brief History: Sitting inside the now living museum of Colonial Williamsburg sits the Everard House. The home was constructed by local gunsmith John Brush in 1717. The house was also once the home of the mayor of colonial Williamsburg, Thomas Everard. Thomas Everard purchased the property and house in the 1750s. Everard served two terms as mayor. The first was 1766 through 1767, and then from 1771 through 1772. Everard spent much of his life in local government. He served as county court clerk of York County up until his death in 1781. After Thomas Everard passed away, the house he lived in went through many owners. Eventually it became part of the Colonial Williamsburg historical restoration town. Today visitors to the house are able to walk through it seeing it as it looked in 1773.

Haunted History: Visitors claim to feel unusual cold spots, and have seen unusual shadows move about the house.


Governor's Palace

Governors Palace

A Brief History:  Located at 300 Palace Green St. in Williamsburg Virginia, Governors Palace stands as a marvelous structure that still strikes awe in the eyes of all who behold it. Finished in 1722, it took 16 years to complete construction, not just because of the detail in the residence, but its expense. Built as a residence for the Royal Governors of Virginia, the “palace” quickly found itself bustling with not only servants and residents, but laborers, tradesmen and others who had some sort of business to deal with. It is said that it took roughly 25 servants and slaves to keep up with not only the palace, but with the traffic it saw on a daily basis. Whenever someone came to the residence, they would be directed by several people toward the direction they needed to be, and this was done on purpose. It was to create a high sense of importance on the palace seeing as how whoever sought out audience with the Governor knew they were meeting with the kings representative in Virginia. The palace also served as a host to numerous balls and galas, some of which were the most elaborate Virginia had ever seen. Nowadays, the palace stands as a historical landmark, and is a stop on many of the Colonial Williamsburg tours. Over its years of existence, Governors Palace served as a home to seven Royal Governors, one being an Earl, another a Baron. It was also a home for Patrick Henry, and Thomas Jefferson.

Haunted History: Williamsburg is one of the oldest cities in America, and it is reasonable to believe that the city itself may harbor many ghosts of the past. There are even several accounts of hauntings within the walls of Governors Palace. Some have played with the idea of seeing an apparition that looks like Thomas Jefferson. Some have even claimed to have seen an apparition in the form of John Wilkes Booth, who died in a barn not too far out of Williamsburg. Apparently some who have even entered the palace with equipment for measuring paranormal activity have reported high amounts of EMF. Whether these claims are true or not, there is no doubt that at the very least, history definitely thrives within those walls.


Magazine, Colonial Williamsburg

Magazine

A Brief History: Located on Duke of Gloucester St, Williamsburg VA, The Magazine was constructed in 1715 by the Governor Spotswood. The building served as a munitions storage facility for dealing with natives, revolutionaries, riots, and pirate raids. After the revolution, and the relocation of the capital to Richmond, the building served a variety of purposes. After a fire in 1889, the building sat unused for nearly half a century. During The Williamsburg restoration project, in 1934 the building was restored and became a museum along with most of the town.

Haunted History: The most commonly noticed phenomena are inexplicable tapping and scratching within the walls. The yard between the magazine and the neighboring building was supposedly the site of a civil war field hospital and mass grave. Local stories suggest that the spirits of these soldiers are the ones haunting the building.



Return to Haunted Long Island

long island new york ny paranormal ghost spirit investigation demonic evp haunting ghost haunted investigators group paranormal

This site is Copyright © Long Island Paranormal Investigators 2003-2017, All Rights Reserved