DEFINITION: Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is slightly lighter than air.

FACT: Carbon Monoxide (CO) is extremely harmful to humans and animals, causing possible death if exposed for a certain amount of time. On average 170 people in the US die of carbon monoxide poisoning each year from non-automotive consumer products. On average there are 16,000 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning reported each year in the US.

HOW TO USE: Turn the meter on and wait 15 seconds for it to warm up and then start taking readings of an area.

RANGE: The range on the meter is from 0ppm to 999ppm. The range from the meter to the active field is 0 – 1 foot.

SOURCES OF CARBON MONOXIDE: There are many different sources of carbon monoxide, given in the list below.

  • Car exhaust, gas stoves, furnace with natural gas, oil, propane, wood.
  • Fireplace: gas, wood, and coal.
  • BBQ: propane and charcoal.
  • Gardening tools: gas powered weed whacker, blower, lawn mower, snow blower, etc.
  • Generators: gasoline, propane, and diesel.
  • Hot water heaters
  • Gas powered clothes dryers.
  • Methylene Chloride (found in certain paints): when this chemical is inhaled in the lungs it can be converted to carbon monoxide.

SYMPTOMS: Nausea, Fatigue, Headaches/Migraines, Dizziness, Shortness of Breath,

Errors in Judgment, Convulsions, Lightheadedness, Sore Eyes, Runny Nose,

Brain Damage, Cardiac Arrest, and/or Death.

READINGS: The unit of measurement for this meter is parts per million (ppm).

  • 0ppm-9ppm – Normal range of Carbon Monoxide exposure.
  • 25ppm-50ppm – A maximum limit of 8 hours of continuous exposure to carbon monoxide before there are harmful effects.
  • 70ppm-100ppm – A maximum limit of 3 hours of continuous exposure to carbon monoxide will lead to flu like symptoms, headaches, sore eyes, and runny nose.
  • 100ppm – A maximum limit of 2-3 hours of continuous exposure to carbon monoxide will lead to headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, and errors in judgment. At this exposure rate you should remove yourself from the location, and seek medical attention.
  • 200ppm – A maximum limit of 2-3 hours of continuous exposure to carbon monoxide will lead to severe headache, fatigue, nausea, and dizziness.
  • 400ppm – A maximum limit of 2 hours of continuous exposure to carbon monoxide will lead to severe headaches/migraines, unconsciousness, brain damage, and is life threatening.
  • 800ppm – A maximum limit of 1 hour of continuous exposure to carbon monoxide will lead to extreme dizziness, nausea, convulsions, and death within a maximum of 2 hours.
  • 1600ppm – A maximum limit of 20 minutes of exposure to carbon monoxide will lead to nausea, extreme dizziness, unconsciousness, and death within a maximum of 1 hour.

NOTE: Any reading over 25ppm with continuous exposure to carbon monoxide for more than 3 hours is a concern for your health.

NOTE: This is not a meter used for detecting paranormal activity, but for detecting carbon monoxide levels. This meter is used to help out the client, because some of the claims of paranormal activity are similar to the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

 


Return To Previous Page