Long Island Paranormal Investigators Long Island Paranormal Investigators
 

  » About Us
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Our Members
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » The Equipment We Use
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Paranormal Definitions
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Paranormal Theories
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Our Recent Investigations
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Evidence Gallery
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Haunted Places on LI Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Paranormal ClassesLong Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Want To Join LIPI?
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Contact Us
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Request An Investigation
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » Friends of LIPILong Island Paranormal Investigators
  » LIPI Community
Long Island Paranormal Investigators
  » LIPI Online Store   » Follow LIPI on Facebook!  Follow LIPI on Twitter!   »  

Haunted Places and Centers of Paranormal Active:
Pennsylvania

 

Barricade at Baltimore Street, Gettysburg

Barricade at Baltimore Street in Gettysburg

A Brief History: The barricade of Baltimore Street was a famous war site in Gettysburg during the civil war. Confederate soldiers built a barricaded across Baltimore Street at the intersection of Breckenridge Street to gain an advantage over the Union soldiers. Confederate sharpshooters hid behind the barricade and in homes nearby to protect themselves from the Union sharpshooters. The Confederate sharpshooters went neck and neck with the union soldiers that were stationed on Cemetery hill. Many of the residents hid in their cellars to protect themselves from the barrage of bullets. Many of the building remain intact and have several bullet holes to this day. There was 1 civilian casualty on Baltimore Street. Her name was Mary Virginia Wade, more famously know by the name Jenny Wade. She was shot in the back while trying to make food for the Union soldiers.

Haunted History: There have been many claims through the years of seeing the apparitions of many soldiers marching through Baltimore Street. People have also claimed to have felt a sudden cold draft run by them when stating on the sidewalk where the barricade was.


Betsy Ross House, Philadelphia

Betsy Ross House

A Brief History: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is home to many locations of American historical significance. One such location is the Betsy Ross House. Betsy Ross lived in the home from 1773 to 1786. According to legend, Betsy Ross created the first American flag after a visit by General George Washington, and his request to do so. Legend also says that Washington originally wished for the flag to have stars with six points, however Betsy convinced him that five points would work better.

This popular story is considered a legend because there is no documentation of the time period indicating that this occurred. Many current historians believe that the legend originated from Betsy’s grandson, William J. Canby. During the Centennial celebrations Canby presented a research paper in which he claimed that his grandmother had "made with her hands the first flag" of the United States.

In 1937 the house was sold to the city of Philadelphia. Millionaire businessman Atwater Kent helped to raise the necessary funds to restore the home which had fallen into disrepair, and whose alterations over time had changed the look from how it was in the 18th century. A garden was also added to the property.

Haunted History: Some visitors to the Betsy Ross House encounter more than they expect to find in the museum. Downstairs in the basement kitchen some people have reported hearing a voice saying “Pardon me.” Also reported are claims that visitors have seen the sobbing spirit of Betsy Ross in the basement bedroom. There are those who claim to have encountered the spirit of an employee who was supposedly murdered in the gift shop.


Cashtown Inn, Gettysburg

Cashtown Inn

A Brief History: The Cashtown Inn was built in 1797. Peter Marck the first innkeeper would only accept cash for services, this is where the Inn got it's name, The Cashtown Inn. Since 1815 the Inn served for the entertainment of strangers and travelers alike. During the Gettysburg campaign, Robert E. Lee's supply route ran straight through Cashtown. In June-July of 1863 Lee kept his wagons and cannons in the orchards surrounding the Inn. The Inn was used to house the confederate soldiers and also treat the wounded, as well as many houses nearby. After the defeat at Gettysburg, Brig. Gen John Imboden made his headquarters at Cashtown Inn. Imboden wrote "About 4 pm the head of the column was put in motion near Cashtown and began the ascent of the mountain in the direction of Chambersburg."

In 1948 the Inn took a bit if a hit when a bypass was constructed on Route 30. After this one of the owners gave thought to turning it into a sub-division for low-income housing. The Inn was bought by Charles Buckley and his wife, who kept this part of history from being destroyed. In 2006 the Inn was purchased by its present owners Jack and Maria Paladino. They have done some major renovations on the first floor and the exterior of the Inn. Today it can still be visited as a Bed and Breakfast for strangers and travelers alike.

Haunted History: As for the haunted history, there is one story that has been around for about 100 years. A confederate soldier has been spotted wondering the halls at the Inn. Sometimes he stomps around in the attic and even knocks on the door of room 4. One account states that a woman left the Inn after being terrified by the apparition of a confederate soldier sitting in a chair across from her bed. In 1895 there was a picture taken across the street from the Inn that may have caught this confederate ghost on film.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Cemetery Hill, Gettysburg

Cemetery Hill

A Brief History:  Cemetery Hill is a battlefield located in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. All three days of the Battle of Gettysburg were fought on this hill. The Battle of Gettysburg took place from July 1 to July 3, 1863. The hill itself stands about 80 feet higher than the surrounding areas of Gettysburg making it a strategic fighting point.

On the first day of the battle Union troops were out numbered and pushed back to the south hills of Gettysburg. These hills included Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill. On the second day Union troops formed a defensive fishhook formation through out the hills. The hills were attacked by Confederate troops but the Union soldiers held their position. On July 3 the fighting resumed on Culp's Hill. At this point Robert E. Lee and his Confederate troops faced defeat and were forced to retreat back to Virginia.

About 51,000 soldiers were killed, wounded, missing or captured over the course of three days. Today there is a statue at the top of Cemetery Hill that serves as a monument to all those that lost their lives during this battle. Anyone can visit this site and walk around it during the day.

Haunted History: There have been claims that this site is haunted. People have reported seeing apparitions of soldiers walking around on the battlefield. Other claims include the chatter of people talking on the field and the sounds of a battle being fought. It is also said that you can here cannon fire coming from the field when demonstrations or re-enactments aren’t taking place. There are also claims of hearing a horse galloping, and then just disappear.


Culp's Hill, Gettysburg

Culps Hill

A Brief History: Culp's Hill is located in Gettysburg, PA. During the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863), this location, the far end of the Union line next to Cemetery Hill and a vital section of the Union supply line, was considered strategically important to both the Union and Confederate armies, and saw action during all three days of the battle. By the time the Confederates made their final retreat on the afternoon of July 3rd, Culp's Hill would see both the Confederate and Union sides suffer heavy losses.

Culp's Hill and the surrounding area were heavily damaged as a result of the battle. Several trees were destroyed from heavy artillery and gunfire from both sides, and it was over 20 years before the countryside began to return to its natural state. Today, the location is part of the Gettysburg National Military Park, and maintained by the National Park Service.

Haunted History: A great deal of paranormal activity has been reported at Culp's Hill, including EVPs, orbs, and full-body apparitions of both Union and Confederate soldiers.

It is interesting to note that according to a historian connected to the group Civil War Trust, paranormal activity wasn't reported on the battlegrounds until well into the 1990's.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Devil's Den, Gettysburg

Devils Den

A Brief History: During July of 1863 the American Civil War was in full swing. The Confederate Army under the command of General Robert E. Lee after a string of victories in the south of the country turned north. The aim was to march up through Pennsylvania, and from there march onto Washington D.C. to try to end the war. The Union Army, newly under the command of General George Meade also moved into Pennsylvania. The battle for Devil’s Den occurred on the second day of the fighting, July 2nd, 1863. The fighting began as Confederate troops attempted to take the high ground from Union General David Birney at Devil’s Den. Union forces had been using the area for their artillery batteries which were counter firing on Confederate artillery. Confederate troops, under orders from General Hood finally pushed through the Union line causing a retreat late in the day, as soldiers from the 1st Texas Regiment overran the area. The cost of the fighting was high. The Confederates incurred around 1,800 casualties, and approximately 800 Union defenders were either killed or wounded during the fighting. Devil’s Den would also become the location of Confederate sharpshooters whom could hide in the rocks and pick off Union officers and artillerymen on Little Round Top.

Haunted History: There is one story from Devil's Den that is a bit helpful. I would call this a supernatural Kodak moment. It is said that a young boy in a large hat will help you find the best place to take a picture by the boulders at Devil's Den. Once you snap the picture the boy disappears. So if you are ever in Gettysburg look for the boy in the big floppy hat, he may help you take a perfect picture.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Devil's Kitchen, Gettysburg

Devils Kitchen

A Brief History: Devil’s Kitchen is a rock formation on the lower slopes of the area known as Big Round Top. Big Round Top was one of the most important strategic locations to control during the Battle of Gettysburg. As for the Devil’s Kitchen itself, it is rumored to have been a snipers nest for Union Colonel Hiram Berdan and his infantry of sharpshooters. They controlled the area until the 4th Texas infantry of Brigadier General Jerome Thompson’s Brigade captured it.

Haunted History: People have claimed that mists and silhouettes of soldiers appear in their photos from Big Round Top. Other claims are of Soldiers walking around the area that people believe to be re-enactors, only to find out there was no re-enactors in the area that day. Visitors also claim to have extreme feelings of uneasiness in this area.


Dobbin House, Gettysburg

Dobbin House

A Brief History: Located at 89 Steinwehr Avenue, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania is The Dobbin House Tavern. The Dobbin House was built in 1776 by Reverend Alexander Dobbin for himself and his family to begin a life in what is now The United States of America. Some 87 years later during the American Civil War the home may have been a part of the Underground Railroad. It is speculated that during the Battle of Gettysburg and following its mayhem the Dobbin house served as a temporary field hospital. Still standing today, The Dobbin House is a popular restaurant, a registered historical site , as well as the oldest standing structure in Gettysburg.

Haunted History: Being in the Gettysburg area and having possibly acted as a field hospital, The Dobbin House regularly expresses signs of paranormal activity. Visitors claim to have seen 18th and 19th century looking apparitions, as well as complaining of spontaneous and inexplicable cold spots.


Evergreen Cemetery, Gettysburg

Evergreen Cemetery

A Brief History: Sitting in the heart of the town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania sits Evergreen Cemetery. The cemetery sits on 29 acres of land that is next to the Soldiers’ National Cemetery. Evergreen Cemetery was founded as a civilian cemetery in 1854; nine years prior to the battles of Gettysburg that occurred during the American Civil War. During the three days of battles, Evergreen Cemetery sat in the thick of the fighting. The cemetery sustained noticeable damage. According to Henry Pfanz, an author of Civil War history, a Union Army Officer stated upon viewing the cemetery, “"A beautiful cemetery it was, but now is trodden down, laid a waste, desecrated. The fences are all down, the many graves have been run over, beautiful lots with iron fences and splendid monuments have been destroyed or soiled, and our infantry and artillery occupy those sacred grounds where the dead are sleeping. It is enough to make one mourn.” Four months after the fighting at Gettysburg, President Abraham Lincoln stood atop a platform and read the Gettysburg Address to the large gathered crowd. One of the most famous burials at Evergreen Cemetery was that of Jennie Wade. She was the only civilian death that resulted from the fighting at Gettysburg.

Haunted History: With all that occurred on the property during the beginning of July 1863 it is not surprising that Evergreen Cemetery is host to tales of paranormal happenings. There have been claims from visitors to the site that they have seen figures resembling that of soldiers of the Civil War. People conducting investigations at the location have reported capturing electronic voice phenomena (EVP). These EVPs have included what sounds like voices calling for help. If you go for a visit to Evergreen Cemetery make sure that you pay attention to your surroundings. There just may be someone out there looking to get your attention. Perhaps, they may be a spirit from a battle fought long ago on a hot summer day in 1863.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Farnsworth House, Gettysburg

Farnwsworth House

A Brief History: The Historic Farnsworth Inn located at 401 Baltimore Street in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; laid its original foundations around 1810 and in 1833 the brick building we see today was erected. The building is named for Brigadier General Elon John Farnsworth, who led his 65 men to their deaths in a failed charge shortly after the famously unsuccessful Pickett’s Charge during the Civil War’s Battle of Gettysburg. During the battle The Historic Farnsworth Inn housed a group of Confederate sharpshooters believed to be responsible for firing the shot that killed Jennie Wade, the only civilian casualty of the three-day conflict. Littered with near one hundred bullet holes, the building continued to act as a field hospital after the battle and was even on the route of Abraham Lincoln’s procession as he made his way to the national cemetery to give his Gettysburg Address. The building currently operates as a bed and breakfast in addition to a restaurant and tavern served by waiters in period dress. There is also a display of props from the movie Gettysburg, and the attic, Garret room contains personal Civil War relics.

Haunted History: Claims of paranormal activity include Confederate soldier entities that get fresh with female waitresses by pulling on their aprons, leaving indentations on patrons’ beds, disembodied footsteps following around the staff, as well as play a Jew’s harp concert in the attic. There is also purported to be an older female apparition in 1800s attire that looks over the items stored on the shelves of a hallway that runs between the tavern and the kitchen.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Gettysburg National Cemetery, Gettysburg

Gettysburg National Cemetery

A Brief History: It is no mystery nor question that the Battle of Gettysburg was a monumental battle, leaving over 10,000 soldiers dead, not to mention the thousands of others injured or captured. After the battle, dead bodies scattered the land, rotting in the rain. Citizens of Gettysburg thus called for a place to bury the union soldiers, as well as proper burial rights. In late October of 1863, the burial of all union soldiers began, and ran the course of several months. The confederate soldiers, however, did not receive burials in the national cemetery, and it was not until the 1870’s that 3,200 confederate soldiers were relocated to various cemeteries in the south. The cemetery, located on Taneytown Road within the National Military Park in Gettysburg, is said to also encompass the hill in which the Union fought against what is known as Pickett’s Charge, and Cemetery Hill led by Robert E. Lee. The cemetery is definitely a very historic piece of land seeing as how it is right next to the actual battlefield where President Abraham Lincoln delivered his famous speech now known as The Gettysburg Address. Today it still stands as a memorial for those who lost their lives in this infamous battle.

Haunted History: A site that is the burial ground for thousands of soldiers would strike the eye of anyone interested in the paranormal. Especially if it is so close to the actual battleground itself. There are many paranormal claims regarding these areas such as apparitions of soldiers reliving their deaths, or still standing at their posts. Even the sounds of battle is said to be heard along with cannons. These claims mainly pertain the battleground right next to the cemetery, yet one cannot help but wonder if these ghosts may wander between the location of their death and the site in which they are buried.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Independence Hall, Philadelphia

Independence Hall

A Brief History: Located at 520 Chestnut Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania. Ground broke on the historic Independence Hall back in 1732. It was originally designed to be the Pennsylvania State House but that is not what it would become known for. Construction on Independence Hall took a staggering 21 years to be completed, not opening its doors until 1753. Founding Father Andrew Hamilton was the man who oversaw the construction and planning for the site.

Independence Hall can quite possibly be considered the birthplace of the United States. In this building the Declaration of Independence was adopted, as well as the Constitution of the United States was drafted and signed. George Washington presided over these events in his famous “rising sun” chair, which can be seen on display in Independence Hall today.

In the early 1800’s the building was no longer in use by the government and served several different purposes, mainly as a storage house for American artifacts. The building was declared a national treasure in 1872 and Independence Hall has undergone two major restorations, one in 1830 by Greek revival architect John Haviland and another in 1948 by the National Parks Service, which restored it to its appearance in 1776.

Haunted History: Famous entities are said to patrol the building such as, Founding Father Ben Franklin and famous turncoat Benedict Arnold. Also, spirits in period clothing are said to wander the first floor of the buildings clock tower, as well as ghostly mists and other apparitions are reported.


Jennie Wade House, Gettysburg

Jennie Wade House

Door with bullet holes

A Brief History: Jennie (Mary Virginia Wade) born May 21st 1843 lived not in the “Jennie Wade” house but on Baltimore Street. The home actually belonged to her sister Georgia McClellan, which is located on 548 Baltimore Street. During the battle of Gettysburg, Jennie and her family stayed in her sister’s home instead of evacuating due to her sister being bed ridden from giving birth. The home literally sat between the two armies getting hit over and over again by bullets leaving holes in the structure that still remain there to this day. The North side facing the Confederates left 150 bullet holes in the front of the home. The home was also hit with a 10-pound “parrot” artillery shell, which hit and entered the 2nd floor wall, which separated the home from the two dwellings. Evidence of this can still be seen if you are taking a tour of the home. Jennie wade at just twenty years of age was the ONLY civilian to be killed in the battle. Just three days into the war, she was making bread for the union soldiers when a bullet came through two doors striking her in the shoulder killing her shortly after. It is said according to her sisters diary that she exclaimed just hours before she was killed, after a bullet struck her sisters bed post for god to take her life if he was going to take any because her dear sister just had her beautiful baby boy. Unfortunately, soon after she was killed. The soldiers heard her family’s cries over all the shooting and yelling and helped them escaped in to the other side of the home and into the basement for safety through the hole made by the parrot. As of 2014, they still had the piece of wood stained with her blood on display. The Jennie wade house is a shrine dedicated to Jennie wade and life during the American civil war and that fateful day on July 3rd 1863. You can also visit her grave located at Evergreen Cemetery, a couple of blocks from the Jennie wade house.

Photo of Jennie Wade

Haunted History: People have claimed to see apparitions of a young woman. She is sometimes seen in the mirrors around the home. There have been reports of strange sounds. Some even say they hear and see children that could be from a nearby orphanage. The roped area that block off the antiques tend to move on their own and sometimes there is the smell of roses and bread.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Little Round Top, Gettysburg

Little Round Top Gettysburg

A Brief History: Little Round Top is located in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania off Sykes Avenue. It is about 2 miles from the field where the Battle of Gettysburg took place and is in close proximity to Devil's Den, Big Round Top and the Wheat Fields. Little Round Top itself stands about 60 feet tall. The hill was formed by frost wedging thus creating its massive boulders. This location played a key role during the Civil War. Confederate soldiers from the South and Union soldiers from the North met at Gettysburg in one of the last battles of the war. It was a turning point for the North and allowed them to eventually win the war.

The battle that took place on Little Round Top, which was another turning point in the war. On July 2, 1863 the area surrounding Little Round Top was occupied by Confederate troops. The hill though was left unprotected. Realizing that Confederate troops were approaching Union soldiers positioned themselves on the hill. Confederate troops were positioned at both Little Round Top and Big Round Top. Heavy fire was exchanged. Running low on ammunition, Union soldiers wielded their Bayonets and made a final charge down the hill. The charge led to the capture of many Confederate soldiers and allowed Union soldiers to take over many of their camps. When the gunfire stopped 29 Union soldiers were reported missing, 134 were killed, and 402 were wounded. The Confederates on the other hand reported 219 missing, 279 killed, and 868 wounded of the 4,864 soldiers that were positioned around the hill. By Civil War standards the fact that the Union regiment started out with 2,995 soldiers and lost a little over 550 was considered a victory.

Haunted History: There are claims that if you are at Little Round Top during night or even during the day that you can hear gunshots, cannon fire, drums, marching, footsteps, and soldiers yelling or screaming. Many photos are taken at this location by tourists as well as paranormal investigators, and some claim that their camera batteries and equipment loses power for no apparent reason. During the filming of a movie at this location the cast and crew also claimed to have seen the apparition of an old soldier roaming around the grounds.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Lutheran Theological Seminary, Gettysburg

Lutheran Theologial Seminary

A Brief History: Located at 61 Seminary Ridge, Gettysburg Pennsylvania. The Lutheran Theological Seminary of Gettysburg Pennsylvania was founded in 1826 by Samuel Simon Schmucker. It is the oldest Lutheran Seminary in the United States, playing a vital role in the Civil war. This historic building served as a lookout and field hospital for both sides during the first day of battle on July 1st 1863 and continued as a hospital for the soldiers after. Samuel Simon Schmucker was an Pastor and an Abolitionist, he used the seminary as a stop along the underground railroad. The original building is now used as a civil war museum and has since expanded.

Haunted History: There have been claims of people seeing smoky forms appear and then disappear. People have also claimed to see groups of soldiers walking on the grounds of the property and then disappear.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Pickett's Charge, Gettysburg

Picketts Charge

A Brief History: Pickett’s Charge was on July 3rd, 1863. It involved around 12,000 Confederate soldiers against 6,500 Union Soldiers and Union Major General George Meade’s troops. The Confederate army had a hold up on Culp’s hill in the morning. Shortly after General Lee lead an attack on the Union center at Cemetery Ridge. Pickett’s Charge, also known as the Pickett-Pettigrew assault, was Major General George Pickett on the Confederate front line and Brigadier General James Johnston Pettigrew on the right piercing threw the Union line only to be pushed back to the copse of trees where the Union line took the battleground with over 6,000 Confederate casualties. There were 1,500 Union casualties as well. The next day, July 4th, Lee withdrew his army and headed towards Williamsport thus ending the Battle of Gettysburg.

Haunted History: There have been many claims of paranormal activity experienced here, such as apparitions of Confederate and Union soldiers. There have been sounds of a battle taking place here such as cannon fire and musket fire, as well as chants of “charge” heard here.


Peach Orchard, Gettysburg

Peach Orchard, Gettysburg

A Brief History: The Peach Orchard is located at the intersection of Wheatfield Road and Emmitsburg Road. The Peach Orchard was the site of intense fighting on day two of the Battle of Gettysburg. On July 2, 1863 Union 3rd Corps Commander Daniel Sickle ordered his troops to occupy the Peach Orchard believing that it was a good strategic location to control. The unit was vulnerable to artillery fire on both sides and was eventually overrun from the area by Confederate troops. The fight at the Peach Orchard was one of the bloodiest of the entire battle.

Haunted History: The ghost of Confederate soldiers are sometimes seen and captured on camera in the orchard. Many people also report feeling like they are vulnerable or in the midst of a battle while at the Peach Orchard. Another frequent claim is of random cold spots that pop up and go away, even during the summer months.


Pennsylvania Hall, Gettysburg College

Pennsylvania Hall

A Brief History: Built in 1837, Pennsylvania Hall is Gettysburg College’s oldest building. Formerly known as the Old Dorm, it was renamed in 1898. It is used now as the college’s central administrative building. It was used as a hospital for the wounded soldiers during the Civil War and had been at one point taken over by each army. It is said that General Robert E. Lee used the cupola as a lookout point during wartime.

Haunted History: There was a strange encounter by two college administrators in the 1980's in Pennsylvania Hall. Taking the elevator to the main level, they pressed the button. It bypassed the command and continued down into the basement. When the doors opened there was no sound, but an operating civil war hospital before them. They claimed to have seen medical staff working on soldiers, limbs being amputated and many bodies of the fallen. As the doors closed once again, one of the passengers said a doctor looked up at them. They found a security officer and brought them to the scene but there was no trace of anything they had just witnessed. That basement was used for storage and there was no trace of anyone having been there.

The building’s Cupola is known for its sightings. Students have claimed to see soldiers atop the cupola, taking aim at them. In one case they had gone to security about it, thinking it was a real person. The security officer went up to check but found no one there. The door was locked with no sign of entrance.


Plum Run, Gettysburg

Plum Run

A Brief History: Plum Run is a stream that flows through the Valley of Death in Gettysburg, which is the area between Devil’s Den and Little Round Top. The stream sits at the heart of the fighting during July 2nd and 3rd of 1863. Plum Run was given the nickname “Bloody Run” because the stream ran red from the blood of fallen soldiers after the second and third days of the Battle of Gettysburg.

Haunted History: Many paranormal groups that have investigated the area report high EMF readings in the area as well as a lot of EVP’s being captured. There is also a famous ghost at Devil’s Den that will greet visitor’s and point toward Plum Run Valley while telling them, “What you’re looking for is over there”, before disappearing.


Rupp House, Gettysburg

Rupp House

A Brief History: Standing at the intersection of Steinwehr Avenue and Baltimore Street you will find the historic Rupp House. Giving guests a look at life during the civil war era. The house built on 451 Baltimore Street was inhabited by the Rupp family during the Battle of Gettysburg and now opens it's lower level as a museum, free to the public. In order to paint a clear picture of what kind of life the soldiers and civilians had to contend with during the civil war the Rupp House History Center features interactive exhibits that use touch, sight, sound and smell to showcase 19th-century culture. The history center also houses a sizable collection of periodicals and maps related to Gettysburg and the Civil war.

The Rupp family, consisting of John and Caroline Rupp, lived in the southern part of town, not far from cemetery hill with their six children aged 6 months to 13 years during July 1863 when the Battle of Gettysburg transpired. The original house that was turned over to John by his father Henry, who had acquired it in 1851, was severely damaged by a gun battle between soldiers that took place at his house during this time. John also took over operations for the family tannery at that time. The Rupp property traces back to the mid 18th-century when it was owned by Rev. Alexander Dobin. The current structure was built in 1868, during which time tragedy would fall on the Rupp house with the loss of their one year old daughter. Six months later the eldest daughter, Caroline May, would also fall prey to misfortune by falling into a pile of hot ashes and suffering considerable burns. Their anguish didn't end there, in the days from August 31-September 2 two of their sons would lose their lives to encephalitis; followed two months later by John Rupp who passed away November 11, at the age of 46, from dysentery. Caroline was forced to sell most of the property after the death of her husband in 1872, since then it has changed hands many times. The Rupp house now serves as a gathering place for the Friends of Gettysburg after the group obtained the property in 2002 and opening the Rupp house in 2003.

Haunted History: Appearing on many local ghost tours some claims of paranormal activity include the feeling of children's energy, the energy of an old man believed to be Jonas Rupp, unexplained pipe smells, cold spots, loud noises upstairs and electrical issues. The flowerbeds of the Rupp house are also said to be the final resting place for several confederate soldiers.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Sachs Bridge, Gettysburg

Sachs Bridge

A Brief History: Sachs Bridge, also known as Waterworks Covered Bridge, is located near Waterworks Road in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The bridge was constructed around 1854 and spans 100 feet across the Marsh Creek. This specific bridge is a covered truss bridge. The bridge was constructed from planks, which allowed for the use of cheap labor. The many planks criss­cross the bridge giving it a unique design. The bridge was also covered providing protection from the elements.

On July 1, 1863 the I Corps of the Union Army crossed this bridge heading towards Gettysburg. The III Corps of the Union Army also crossed Sachs Bridge getting to Black Horse Tavern on the same day. On July 1, 1863 General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia retreated over Sachs Bridge after the Union victory in Gettysburg. With the Union army waiting on the other side, General Lee's army was forced to move even further back to Fairfield where the troops divided and crossed the mountains. In their attempt to avoid the Union Army, the Confederate Army suffered causalities.

In 1938 Sachs Bridge was declared a historic landmark. In June of 1996 a flash flood knocked the bridge apart. A restoration project was already in place when this flash flood took place. Additional funds would be spent to restore the bridge to its almost original state. Today the bridge is fully restored and can be crossed only by pedestrians.

Haunted History: Claims for this area include voices, full body apparitions, people getting touched, and cold spots on the bridge. Some say that they have seen full body apparitions of Confederate soldiers. Some believe the Confederate soldiers appear because they were abandoned by their regiments when retreating over the bridge. There is also a claim that General Robert E. Lee himself can be seen roaming on and around the area near Sachs Bridge.

Click Here to read about our visits to Gettysburg.


Soldier's Museum, Gettysburg

Soldiers Museum

A Brief History: The Gettysburg Soldier’s National Museum, located at 777 Baltimore Street in Gettysburg Pennsylvania, is a historic building that acted as the headquarters for General Oliver Howard during The Battle of Gettysburg. In the wake of the bloody battle wealthy citizens commissioned the building to act as an orphanage for children who lost parents in the Civil War, opening its doors to 30 orphans in September of 1866 as the Soldiers’ Orphan Homestead. After an initial decade or so of prosperity and harmony under the management of Civil War widow Philinda Humiston, the orphanage expanded to house 120 boys and girls. However, things took a turn for the worse when the founders and trustees of the orphanage moved on and left the managerial duties with Rosa Carmichael, whose cruelty to the children would become infamous. Charges were brought against her numerous times for the barbaric and torturous punishments she inflicted for minor infractions on children as young as four and five. After the orphanage was finally closed down 1877, it was inspected by the members of the Grand Army of the Republic where they discovered a small, dank, lightless room Mrs. Carmichael used as a dungeon to shackle young children to the wall as punishment.

The building changed hands several times over the beginning of the 1900s, when it was opened in the early 1920s as the first bed and breakfast inn in Gettysburg. Eventually famous comedy actor Cliff Arquette, better known as “Charlie Weaver”, opened up the building to the public in the 1950s as the “Charley Weaver Museum of the Civil War.” Operating until November 2014 as the Soldier’s National Museum it has closed its doors and forced to auction off the historical artifacts contained within.

Haunted History: There have been many claims over the years that have occurred at this location. It is said that you can hear children chattering and crying at times. There have also been apparitions of solders seen. There have been extreme cold spots felt at this location especially in ht orphanage section. Many paranormal investigators have collected numerous EVPs and unusual photos throughout the years.


Steven's Hall, Gettysburg College

Stevens Hall

A Brief History: Stevens Hall is located at Gettysburg College. The hall was built in 1868 and was originally used as a preparatory school for the college. Stevens Hall is the 4th oldest building at Gettysburg College. Stevens Hall became a dormitory for the college sometime in the early 1900s. Stevens Hall got it’s name from Thaddeus Stevens, which is one of the founders of Gettysburg College. He was also a congressman before and after the civil war. Thaddeus Stevens was also the author for the 14th Amendment, which states that any person born within the United States of America is a citizen of the country, and during the timeframe of the civil war this also included slaves.

Haunted History: In the early 1900s there was a young boy who lived nearby, who would get abused from his parents, so he would take refuge from the girls living in the dorm room. One night while the boy was taking refuge in the dorm, the headmistress was checking all of the floors, so the girls hid the boy outside of their window. After the headmistress left, the girls checked on the boy and discovered that he was gone. The girls checked the grounds outside of the hall but couldn’t find any sign of the boy. Many students through the years that have stayed at Stevens Hall claim that on a cold winter night they would hear cries from outside, and when they would look outside of the window they would see a blue boy shivering in the cold and then disappear.


Wheat Fields, Gettysburg

Wheat Fields

A Brief History: Thursday, July 2nd 1863 began like countless others had. The sun rose and shined down on the rows of wheat that made up the Rose family farm, giving off a warm glow. However, by day’s end those very same rows of wheat would be matted down, and stained blood red. On this day Confederate infantry overran General Sickles Union troops positioned at Devil’s Den. As the Confederate forces pushed through the area they ran into Union forces of the 17th Maine who were tasked with holding the area. More troops on both sides moved into the small location. In the midst of the fighting, Union General James Barnes pulled the soldiers of his command back. The reasoning is still debated today. However, in doing so it created a vacuum that Confederate soldiers began to fill in an attempt to overwhelm the remaining Union forces. The fighting was a confusing and desperate bloodbath. For the next two hours, 11 brigade sized forces clashed resulting in the area being nicknamed the “Bloody Wheatfield.” When the dust settled that evening Confederate forces were unable to push any further into the Union lines. Exhausted soldiers on both sides then prepared for the next day’s fighting. Of the 20,000 soldiers who fought in the Wheatfield that day, 6,000 perished. The highly regarded Irish Brigade known for their stout bravery under fire was all but decimated. The battle for the Wheatfield became known as one of the bloodiest battles of the American Civil War.

Haunted History: The Wheat Field is also known for its claims regarding the paranormal. Many people attempting to investigate the location report experiencing camera malfunctions, and battery drains. There are also numerous reports of people hearing gun and cannon fire. Those who walk the field while it’s quiet sometimes state that they can hear mumbling, crying in pain, and other indications of what happened there in 1863. Something to consider if you should find yourself standing out there on the old Rose family farm land, not far from the famous Devil’s Den, and Peach Orchard. Listen carefully, and just maybe you too will find something more than monuments standing like sentries to another time.



Return to Haunted Long Island

long island new york ny paranormal ghost spirit investigation demonic evp haunting ghost haunted investigators group paranormal

This site is Copyright © Long Island Paranormal Investigators 2003-2017, All Rights Reserved