A Brief History: Located at the intersection of North Washington Street and West Railroad Street, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; the depot and railway were opened to the public April 21st 1884.  Constructed in response to the increase in tourism to the area after 1880, the railway served as the most direct route from Harrisburg to Gettysburg in addition to having spurs of track that crossed the sites of major civil war battles such as the First Day Fields, Pickett’s Charge, and Little Round Top.  After the rise of automobile use the railway ceased functions as public transport in 1941, but it eventually became a commercial railway and hosted dinner tours as well as haunted tours through the Civil War battlefields until 2009.

Haunted History: People have reported seeing a group of Union Soldiers walking in the area and then just disappear.



Return To Previous Page