Barricade at Baltimore Street
A Brief History: The barricade of Baltimore Street was a famous war site in Gettysburg during the civil war. Confederate soldiers built a barricaded across Baltimore Street at the intersection of Breckenridge Street to gain an advantage over the Union soldiers. Confederate sharpshooters hid behind the barricade and in homes nearby to protect themselves from the Union sharpshooters. The Confederate sharpshooters went neck and neck with the union soldiers that were stationed on Cemetery hill. Many of the residents hid in their cellars to protect themselves from the barrage of bullets. Many of the building remain intact and have several bullet holes to this day. There was 1 civilian casualty on Baltimore Street. Her name was Mary Virginia Wade, more famously know by the name Jenny Wade. She was shot in the back while trying to make food for the Union soldiers.
Haunted History: There have been many claims through the years of seeing the apparitions of many soldiers marching through Baltimore Street. People have also claimed to have felt a sudden cold draft run by them when stating on the sidewalk where the barricade was.
A Brief History: Cemetery Hill is a battlefield located in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. All three days of the Battle of Gettysburg were fought on this hill. The Battle of Gettysburg took place from July 1 to July 3, 1863. The hill itself stands about 80 feet higher than the surrounding areas of Gettysburg making it a strategic fighting point.
On the first day of the battle Union troops were out numbered and pushed back to the south hills of Gettysburg. These hills included Culp’s Hill and Cemetery Hill. On the second day Union troops formed a defensive fishhook formation through out the hills. The hills were attacked by Confederate troops but the Union soldiers held their position. On July 3 the fighting resumed on Culp’s Hill. At this point Robert E. Lee and his Confederate troops faced defeat and were forced to retreat back to Virginia.
About 51,000 soldiers were killed, wounded, missing or captured over the course of three days. Today there is a statue at the top of Cemetery Hill that serves as a monument to all those that lost their lives during this battle. Anyone can visit this site and walk around it during the day.
Haunted History: There have been claims that this site is haunted. People have reported seeing apparitions of soldiers walking around on the battlefield. Other claims include the chatter of people talking on the field and the sounds of a battle being fought. It is also said that you can here cannon fire coming from the field when demonstrations or re-enactments aren’t taking place. There are also claims of hearing a horse galloping, amd then just disappear.
A Brief History: Culp’s Hill is located in Gettysburg, PA. During the Battle of Gettysburg (July 1-3, 1863), this location, the far end of the Union line next to Cemetery Hill and a vital section of the Union supply line, was considered strategically important to both the Union and Confederate armies, and saw action during all three days of the battle. By the time the Confederates made their final retreat on the afternoon of July 3rd, Culp’s Hill would see both the Confederate and Union sides suffer heavy losses.
Culp’s Hill and the surrounding area were heavily damaged as a result of the battle. Several trees were destroyed from heavy artillery and gunfire from both sides, and it was over 20 years before the countryside began to return to its natural state. Today, the location is part of the Gettysburg National Military Park, and maintained by the National Park Service.
Haunted History: A great deal of paranormal activity has been reported at Culp’s Hill, including EVPs, orbs, and full-body apparitions of both Union and Confederate soldiers.
It is interesting to note that according to a historian connected to the group Civil War Trust, paranormal activity wasn’t reported on the battlegrounds until well into the 1990s.
A Brief History: During July of 1863 the American Civil War was in full swing. The Confederate Army under the command of General Robert E. Lee after a string of victories in the south of the country turned north. The aim was to march up through Pennsylvania, and from there march onto Washington D.C. to try to end the war. The Union Army, newly under the command of General George Meade also moved into Pennsylvania. The battle for Devil’s Den occurred on the second day of the fighting, July 2nd, 1863. The fighting began as Confederate troops attempted to take the high ground from Union General David Birney at Devil’s Den. Union forces had been using the area for their artillery batteries which were counter firing on Confederate artillery. Confederate troops, under orders from General Hood finally pushed through the Union line causing a retreat late in the day, as soldiers from the 1st Texas Regiment overran the area. The cost of the fighting was high. The Confederates incurred around 1,800 casualties, and approximately 800 Union defenders were either killed or wounded during the fighting. Devil’s Den would also become the location of Confederate sharpshooters whom could hide in the rocks and pick off Union officers and artillerymen on Little Round Top.
Haunted History: There is one story from Devil’s Den that is a bit helpful. I would call this a supernatural Kodak moment. It is said that a young boy in a large hat will help you find the best place to take a picture by the boulders at Devil’s Den. Once you snap the picture the boy disappears. So if you are ever in Gettysburg look for the boy in the big floppy hat, he may help you take a perfect picture.
A Brief History: Devil’s Kitchen is a rock formation on the lower slopes of the area known as Big Round Top. Big Round Top was one of the most important strategic locations to control during the Battle of Gettysburg. As for the Devil’s Kitchen itself, it is rumored to have been a snipers nest for Union Colonel Hiram Berdan and his infantry of sharpshooters. They controlled the area until the 4th Texas infantry of Brigadier General Jerome Thompson’s Brigade captured it.
Haunted History: People have claimed that mists and silhouettes of soldiers appear in their photos from Big Round Top. Other claims are of Soldiers walking around the area that people believe to be re-enactors, only to find out there was no re-enactors in the area that day. Visitors also claim to have extreme feelings of uneasiness in this area.
Little Round Top
A Brief History: Little Round Top is located in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania off Sykes Avenue. It is about 2 miles from the field where the Battle of Gettysburg took place and is in close proximity to Devil’s Den, Big Round Top and the Wheat Fields. Little Round Top itself stands about 60 feet tall. The hill was formed by frost wedging thus creating its massive boulders. This location played a key role during the Civil War. Confederate soldiers from the South and Union soldiers from the North met at Gettysburg in one of the last battles of the war. It was a turning point for the North and allowed them to eventually win the war.
The battle that took place on Little Round Top, which was another turning point in the war. On July 2, 1863 the area surrounding Little Round Top was occupied by Confederate troops. The hill though was left unprotected. Realizing that Confederate troops were approaching Union soldiers positioned themselves on the hill. Confederate troops were positioned at both Little Round Top and Big Round Top. Heavy fire was exchanged. Running low on ammunition, Union soldiers wielded their Bayonets and made a final charge down the hill. The charge led to the capture of many Confederate soldiers and allowed Union soldiers to take over many of their camps. When the gunfire stopped 29 Union soldiers were reported missing, 134 were killed, and 402 were wounded. The Confederates on the other hand reported 219 missing, 279 killed, and 868 wounded of the 4,864 soldiers that were positioned around the hill. By Civil War standards the fact that the Union regiment started out with 2,995 soldiers and lost a little over 550 was considered a victory.
Haunted History: There are claims that if you are at Little Round Top during night or even during the day that you can hear gunshots, cannon fire, drums, marching, footsteps, and soldiers yelling or screaming. Many photos are taken at this location by tourists as well as paranormal investigators, and some claim that their camera batteries and equipment loses power for no apparent reason. During the filming of a movie at this location the cast and crew also claimed to have seen the apparition of an old soldier roaming around the grounds.
A Brief History: The Peach Orchard is located at the intersection of Wheatfield Road and Emmitsburg Road. The Peach Orchard was the site of intense fighting on day two of the Battle of Gettysburg. On July 2, 1863 Union 3rd Corps Commander Daniel Sickle ordered his troops to occupy the Peach Orchard believing that it was a good strategic location to control. The unit was vulnerable to artillery fire on both sides and was eventually overrun from the area by Confederate troops. The fight at the Peach Orchard was one of the bloodiest of the entire battle.
Haunted History: The ghost of Confederate soldiers are sometimes seen and captured on camera in the orchard. Many people also report feeling like they are vulnerable or in the midst of a battle while at the Peach Orchard. Another frequent claim is of random cold spots that pop up and go away, even during the summer months.
A Brief History: Pickett’s Charge was on July 3rd, 1863. It involved around 12,000 Confederate soldiers against 6,500 Union Soldiers and Union Major General George Meade’s troops. The Confederate army had a hold up on Culp’s hill in the morning. Shortly after General Lee lead an attack on the Union center at Cemetery Ridge. Pickett’s Charge, also known as the Pickett-Pettigrew assault, was Major General George Pickett on the Confederate front line and Brigadier General James Johnston Pettigrew on the right piercing threw the Union line only to be pushed back to the copse of trees where the Union line took the battleground with over 6,000 Confederate casualties. There were 1,500 Union casualties as well. The next day, July 4th, Lee withdrew his army and headed towards Williamsport thus ending the Battle of Gettysburg.
Haunted History: There have been many claims of paranormal activity experienced here, such as apparitions of Confederate and Union soldiers. There have been sounds of a battle taking place here such as cannon fire and musket fire, as well as chants of “charge” heard here.
A Brief History: Plum Run is a stream that flows through the Valley of Death in Gettysburg, which is the area between Devil’s Den and Little Round Top. The stream sits at the heart of the fighting during July 2nd and 3rd of 1863. Plum Run was given the nickname “Bloody Run” because the stream ran red from the blood of fallen soldiers after the second and third days of the Battle of Gettysburg.
Haunted History: Many paranormal groups that have investigated the area report high EMF readings in the area as well as a lot of EVP’s being captured. There is also a famous ghost at Devil’s Den that will greet visitor’s and point toward Plum Run Valley while telling them, “What you’re looking for is over there”, before disappearing.
Sachs Covered Bridge
A Brief History: Sachs Bridge, also known as Waterworks Covered Bridge, is located near Waterworks Road in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The bridge was constructed around 1854 and spans 100 feet across the Marsh Creek. This specific bridge is a covered truss bridge. The bridge was constructed from planks, which allowed for the use of cheap labor. The many planks crisscross the bridge giving it a unique design. The bridge was also covered providing protection from the elements.
On July 1, 1863 the I Corps of the Union Army crossed this bridge heading towards Gettysburg. The III Corps of the Union Army also crossed Sachs Bridge getting to Black Horse Tavern on the same day. On July 1, 1863 General Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia retreated over Sachs Bridge after the Union victory in Gettysburg. With the Union army waiting on the other side, General Lee’s army was forced to move even further back to Fairfield where the troops divided and crossed the mountains. In their attempt to avoid the Union Army, the Confederate Army suffered causalities.
In 1938 Sachs Bridge was declared a historic landmark. In June of 1996 a flash flood knocked the bridge apart. A restoration project was already in place when this flash flood took place. Additional funds would be spent to restore the bridge to its almost original state. Today the bridge is fully restored and can be crossed only by pedestrians.
Haunted History: Claims for this area include voices, full body apparitions, people getting touched, and cold spots on the bridge. Some say that they have seen full body apparitions of Confederate soldiers. Some believe the Confederate soldiers appear because they were abandoned by their regiments when retreating over the bridge. There is also a claim that General Robert E. Lee himself can be seen roaming on and around the area near Sachs Bridge.
Bloody Wheat Fields
A Brief History: Thursday, July 2nd 1863 began like countless others had. The sun rose and shined down on the rows of wheat that made up the Rose family farm, giving off a warm glow. However, by day’s end those very same rows of wheat would be matted down, and stained blood red. On this day Confederate infantry overran General Sickles Union troops positioned at Devil’s Den. As the Confederate forces pushed through the area they ran into Union forces of the 17th Maine who were tasked with holding the area. More troops on both sides moved into the small location. In the midst of the fighting, Union General James Barnes pulled the soldiers of his command back. The reasoning is still debated today. However, in doing so it created a vacuum that Confederate soldiers began to fill in an attempt to overwhelm the remaining Union forces. The fighting was a confusing and desperate bloodbath. For the next two hours, 11 brigade sized forces clashed resulting in the area being nicknamed the “Bloody Wheatfield.” When the dust settled that evening Confederate forces were unable to push any further into the Union lines. Exhausted soldiers on both sides then prepared for the next day’s fighting.
Of the 20,000 soldiers who fought in the Wheatfield that day, 6,000 perished. The highly regarded Irish Brigade known for their stout bravery under fire was all but decimated. The battle for the Wheatfield became known as one of the bloodiest battles of the American Civil War.
Haunted History: The Wheat Field is also known for its claims regarding the paranormal. Many people attempting to investigate the location report experiencing camera malfunctions, and battery drains. There are also numerous reports of people hearing gun and cannon fire. Those who walk the field while it’s quiet sometimes state that they can hear mumbling, crying in pain, and other indications of what happened there in 1863. Something to consider if you should find yourself standing out there on the old Rose family farm land, not far from the famous Devil’s Den, and Peach Orchard. Listen carefully, and just maybe you too will find something more than monuments standing like sentries to another time.