A Brief History: The Ebenezer Avery House was built in Groton, Ct in the 1760s. Avery joined the Continental Army to help defend nearby Fort Griswold from attack by British troops. During the Battle of Groton Heights on September 6, 1781, Avery was seriously wounded and he, along with several other wounded American soldiers, were taken to his home and left to die. The British set fire to the home with the prisoners left inside, but the Americans were able to extinguish the flames. Avery recovered from his wounds and remained in the house until he died in 1828. Blood from the wounded soldiers stained the floors of the house for over 100 years but cannot be seen by visitors today. In need of extensive renovations, the house was donated to the state of Connecticut in 1972. It was later moved to the Fort Griswold Battlefield State Park, restored and opened to the public as a museum in 1975.

Haunted History: There have been claims of people seeing an apparition of a male in 19th century clothing and then just disappear.  There have also been claims of hearing sounds of moaning coming from the house late at night.



Return To Previous Page