A Brief History: The Colonel Ledyard Cemetery is located on Mitchell Street, Groton, Ct. The land was first used as a cemetery in 1770 and is still in use today. The cemetery is the final resting place of many of the soldiers that lost their lives during the battle of Groton Heights (Battle of Fort Griswold) during the American Revolutionary War. The cemetery is named for Lt. Colonel William Ledyard, the commanding officer at Fort Griswold who was violently murdered by the British after their forces captured the fort.
Haunted History: Local paranormal groups and thrill seekers have reported photographing inexplicable mists/fogs. The hauntings are believed to be the result of the large number of deceased soldiers laid to rest on the grounds. The majority of the activity is reported near headstones, mausoleums and other architectural structures.