» About Us
Equipment We Use
» Haunted Places on LI
Want To Join LIPI?
» Contact Us
» Request An Investigation
Friends of LIPI
» LIPI Online Store
A Brief History:
The Buckingham-Hall House was a “coastal homestead farmhouse” built in 1768, on the estate of Samuel Buckingham, of Old Saybrook, Connecticut. The house belonged to the time of the 19th century. A bustling period filled with a variety of lifestyle. Travelers were known to come and go by ferry and trading ships were seen coasting the river and making stops to import and export goods from the local farmers.
In the mid 1930’s, the Buckingham-Hall House was sold to the son of William Hall Sr., William Hall Jr. Following the purchase; a series of threats invaded the Hall family. A new highway bridge was to be built across the Connecticut River but the house stood in the way. In 1951, it was set to be demolished. However, an agreement was reached to preserve the house. They relocated the residence about 2 miles away, to Mystic Seaport, by a barge shipment.
The Buckingham-Hall house to this day, remains in Mystic Seaport, Connecticut. Having had been converted to a museum, many still come and go. The house can be seen still standing with an array of vegetable, fruit, herb, and flower gardens that surround the farmhouse as were to in the past.
Haunted History: The Buckingham-Hall house is an invaluable place to the history and the families that once resided in Mystic Seaport, Connecticut. Visitors have claims of experiencing paranormal occurrences throughout the town, as well as the Buckingham Hall residence.
It is said that the coastal farmhouse, is haunted by an “ill-tempered” woman, whom may still be upset about the relocation of their home. There are claims of this woman’s voice being heard throughout the halls and faces of apparitions seen in the gardens.
The historic Buckingham Hall House of the mid 1830’s may indeed still be considered home to those who once resided in it.
A Brief History: The Burrows House located at 75 Greenmanville Avenue Mystic Seaport Connecticut, was home to the Burrows family for many years between the 1860's and 1870's. Seth Winthrop Burrows was a storekeeper and his wife was a homemaker living in Connecticut. Although there is no exact record, construction of the building is believed to be between the year 1805 and 1825 based on architectural features. In 1953 the house was set to be demolished to make room for a bank but was fortunately saved by the town.
The Burrows House is best known for its garden, its wide variety of plants on display show horticultural history. There are many exotic flowers and plants in the garden that are native to other countries. This renowned garden was created at a time during the Industrial Revolution when people no longer needed to create large fields for home farming and could create their garden the way they wanted. Many chose to fill their new gardens with assorted flowers and smaller vegetables. New gardening equipment was now made available for even the non-wealthy.
The Burrows House is now included as part of the Mystic Seaport Museum and is considered the largest maritime museum in the world. It is considered one of Connecticut’s cultural treasures.
Haunted History: Visitors have claimed to feel cold spots throughout the house. People have also claimed to see a person look out of the window when the house was closed for the day.
A Brief History: The
Charles W. Morgan has the distinction of being the last surviving wooden American whaling ship. The only American wooden sailing ship that still exists is the USS Constitution. She was constructed in 1841, in New Bedford, Massachusetts. The 106-foot
Morgan typically sailed with a crew of approximately 35 sailors. The
Morgan made 37 whaling voyages over the course of 80 years. A typical whaling venture would take around 3 years to complete. In 1921, the
Morgan finished sailing her last whaling venture. She was then preserved by Whaling Enshrined, Inc. and exhibited at Colonel Edward H.R. Green’s estate at Round Hill in South Dartmouth, Massachusetts. In 1941 she was relocated to Mystic, Connecticut. She still sits in the historical seaport today as a museum ship for people to explore, and learn about the age of whaling.
Haunted History: With her long history it isn’t surprising that the
Morgan has two supposed tales of paranormal activity. The first story came from a Mystic Seaport employee who felt he encountered the spirit of a former museum ship keeper. The other story came from encounter by the Rhode Island Paranormal Group. They claim that 3 of their investigators encountered the spirit of a pipe smoking man in 19th century clothing working a rope in the blubber room of the ship.
A Brief History:
The house was built in 1837 by Clark Greenman and his two brothers, George and Thomas Greenman. The brothers had purchased 12 acres of land on the bend of the Mystic River in Connecticut. Clark and his brothers went on to build two other houses for his brothers (The George Greenman house and the Thomas Greenman house.) The brothers had decided to name this community after themselves naming it “Greenmanville.” The Clark Greenman house was used to house Clark and his family as he and his brother’s community began to thrive. The brothers had also expanded into New England’s Textile business so they could build a woolen mill in 1849. The brother’s community was at its prime when they added a shipyard, which is where Clark spent most of his days managing. Today the shipyard is busier than ever; it is a Maritime museum, it is known to be the nation’s leading Maritime museum in Maritime education.
Haunted History: There have been claims of seeing an apparition of a man in 19th century clothing working outside of the house and then just disappear.
A Brief History:
The Cronin building is located at 80 State Street in New London Connecticut. The building was designed by George Warren Cole and built in 1892 by Jerimiah Cronin. The building has a Romanesque style and caught people’s attention due to its texturized brickwork and decorative arches. In the late 1800s the Cronin building was used as a public library, later on it became the Williams Memorial Institute. George Warren Cole also opened architectural offices in the building, which brought in other young architects to the city. Before the Cronin Building was built a city hotel stood on the grounds. Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Jackson had stayed in that hotel. Today the Cronin building stands the way it looked in the 1800s with its unique appearance, however the building is vacant and in need of restoration.
Haunted History: People that have walked through the building have claimed to feel extreme cold spots and a very uneasy feeling.
A Brief History:
The Ebenezer Avery House was built in Groton, Ct in the 1760s. Avery joined the Continental Army to help defend nearby Fort Griswold from attack by British troops. During the Battle of Groton Heights on September 6, 1781, Avery was seriously wounded and he, along with several other wounded American soldiers, were taken to his home and left to die. The British set fire to the home with the prisoners left inside, but the Americans were able to extinguish the flames. Avery recovered from his wounds and remained in the house until he died in 1828. Blood from the wounded soldiers stained the floors of the house for over 100 years but cannot be seen by visitors today. In need of extensive renovations, the house was donated to the state of Connecticut in 1972. It was later moved to the Fort Griswold Battlefield State Park, restored and opened to the public as a museum in 1975.
Haunted History: There have been claims of people seeing an apparition of a male in 19th century clothing and then just disappear. There have also been claims of hearing sounds of moaning coming from the house late at night.
A Brief History: On
September 6th of 1781, an attack was made on Ft. Griswold, an American fort
during the Revolutionary War. On this date in history, 165 militia and local
volunteers who were under the command of Colonel William Ledyard, guarded
Ft. Griswold. Expecting the British to arrive at the Fort, Colonel Ledyard
was elected to defend the post against the opposing forces. British
commander, Colonel Eyre was sent to the Fort to demand surrender. Colonel
Ledyard refused. Once again, Eyre requested surrender or “no quarter (mercy)
would be given”. Colonel Ledyard still did not surrender saying, “We will
not give up the fort, let the consequences be what they may.”
Led by General Benedict Arnold,
Colonel Eyre and Major Montgomery, the British began to advance on the fort.
Many British soldiers were killed and wounded as they stormed Ft. Griswold.
Eyre was severely injured and Montgomery was killed in battle. After some
time, the remaining British soldiers made it to the gate of the Fort. As the
gate opened, Colonel Ledyard ordered his men to stop fighting, although some
action was still taking place.
Colonel Ledyard surrendered his sword
and was immediately killed by General Benedict Arnold. At the end of the
battle 85 Americans were killed, 5 were on the brink of death, and 36 were
severely injured. On the British side, 51 were killed and 165 were wounded
in the battle. All and all, this battle only lasted 40 minutes, but in those
forty minutes, it was quite the massacre.
Haunted History: Many people claim Ft. Griswold to be a very haunted location. Claims of a shadowy figure are seen in the tunnel beneath the north wall. Voices are said to be heard throughout the fort. Some have also claimed to have small rocks thrown at them on the path leading to the shot furnace. An apparition of a solider with a tri-corner hat has been seen at the front gate. Many footsteps have been heard on the grounds. Along with orbs being sighted at night. Also screams of a little girl have been heard saying “no, no!”
A Brief History: The New London Harbor Lighthouse, located in New London Harbor Connecticut, was built in 1761 and originally stood 64 feet tall and 24 feet wide. The lighthouse was the first to be built on the Long Island Sound. After undergoing many renovations through out the years, the lighthouse now stands 111 feet tall.
In 1759 the land was purchased by King George II and King George III and the lighthouse was built by 1761 costing approximately $285,000, which was paid by private financing and the Connecticut Colonials by taxing them. The Colonials would use the lighthouse as a guide to get back to their homes in New London Connecticut. With the permission from the Governor of Connecticut, Jonathan Trumbell, the Shaw Family would take out small boats and wreak havoc on the British supply ships, stealing goods that they would then sell on the docks making a lot of money. A percentage of the sales would go to the Colony of Connecticut to help fund the American Revolution. Once Benedict Arnold was made aware of this activity, he landed in New London Harbor and marched into town and burnt it down.
Once the revolution was over George Washington sent over $360 every quarter to supply the lighthouse with whale oil to keep the light lit. Unfortunately within 10 years the lighthouse developed a huge crack along side of it making the lighthouse unstable. Also with the developing town the light from the lighthouse was not sufficient enough for the local sailors. Congress decided to restructure the lighthouse using funds of around $15,000. Abisha Woodward completed construction in 1801 adding the octagonal shape you see today using granite and was painted white. He also added a cistern and an oil house and redeveloped a larger light.
During the War of 1812, Commodore Decatur ordered the light to be put out so that the nearby British ships would not see the harbor. Once the
War of 1812 was over the lighthouse was relit and a lighthouse keepers quarters was added.
Between 1833 and 1912 the lighthouse went under major changes such as; a new stone deck was added for the new lantern, iron rails, a copper dome and weather vane. There was also reconstruction and added stairwells. The Fresnel lens was also added. The lighthouse keepers home was also reconstructed. At this time the National Lighthouse Preservation Society runs the lighthouse.
Haunted History: There have been claims of people seeing Colonial solders appear and disappear. Visitors have also claimed to feel extreme cold spots in certain areas. Late at night there have been claims of hearing screams coming from the lighthouse.
A Brief History: The Royal Hotel is located at 57 Bank Street in New London Connecticut. It was built in 1830, and was a hotel from the 1840s to 1874. This hotel was known as Bacons Hotel because it was run by William Bacon and his brother John. It was expanded and became a three-floor building instead of two stories. In 1880, after the building expanded it was renamed with the name Bacon House. In 1897 the building burned down and was replaced by the Gravitt building. However the top floors still contained a hotel known now as the Royal Hotel. Over the years the hotel became out of date and a little rundown.
Haunted History: There have been claims of hearing loud bangs coming from the 2nd floor of the building. There have also been claims of unusual screaming in the middle of the night.
A Brief History: The Shaw Mansion of New London Connecticut located at 11 Blinman Street, was a naval war office under naval agent Nathaniel Shaw Jr. during the American Revolution. He inherited the building from his father Captain Nathaniel Shaw who had it built in 1756. It was said that George Washington may have visited this location in 1776. It is still standing as a historical museum and used by the New London Historical Society, having reached landmark status.
Haunted History: There was an account of children’s laughter being recorded during a tour where there were no children present. It was unnoticed until the video was played back. Footsteps have been heard in the research library with no known explanation.
long island new york ny paranormal ghost spirit investigation demonic evp haunting ghost
haunted investigators group paranormal
Return to Haunted Long
This site is Copyright © Long Island Paranormal Investigators 2003-2017, All Rights Reserved